The regional rounds of the 2017-2018 High School Mock Trial Competition will take place in early December. High school students from across the state have been busy preparing to try this year’s case, United States v. Storm, a murder case arising from an alleged drug smuggling operation on the Long Island Sound. At the regional rounds, teams compete to qualify for a playoff tournament, leading to the final round before the Connecticut Supreme Court in the spring of next year.
To help make this year’s competition a success, students will need assistance of the bench and bar in courtrooms across the state. Civics First CT is seeking volunteers for the following regional rounds:
- Stamford (December 1) (10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.)
- New Haven (December 4 and 11) (2:00 p.m.)
- Danbury (December 5) (12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.)
- Manchester (December 5 and 12) (5:00 p.m.)
- New Britain (December 6 and 13) (3:00 p.m.)
- Waterbury (December 7 and 14) (11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.)
- Middletown (December 8 and 15) (2:00 p.m.)
If you are interested in volunteering, please register online to select your dates and times. Civics First CT will follow up with you to confirm availability and provide you with a link to the case and rules, as well as a bench memo to help you get started. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
For the full version of this week’s Weekly Docket, click here.